Friday, March 21, 2008

My Friend


This week has been harrowing week for a friend of mine. I've known the Fikes family for all of my 35 years of life. In fact, I lived with them for about 6 months when my own family was having hard times. Last week, my friend Amber Fikes Lamb came home from Tennessee with her husband Chuck. They were here to be with her Dad since he is fighting a battle with cancer. On Monday, they told the family that he had 1-2 weeks to live. On Tuesday night she spent the night at the hospital and her husband stayed at her parents home. On Wednesday morning, she went home to get a shower and found her husband dead in bed. I'll never forget driving up to her house and seeing all the ambulances, coroner, and Sheriff cars. She was in absolute shock for a time, and then it started to hit her. I don't think it has quit hitting her. On Thursday, she had to visit the funeral home which was definitely no picnic. It breaks my heart and I don't even begin to understand the mind of God, but I have found comfort in the words to the song "Trust His Heart".
God is too wise to be mistaken;
God is too good to be unkind;
So when you don’t understand;
When you don’t see his plan;
When you can’t trace his hand;
Trust his heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tribute on your page. As you know, I'm back in Tennessee but not back at home. I've tried to go out there twice and it's just so overwhelming I get to the point I can't breathe and end up leaving. I don't know what my future holds but I'm just trusting in God that he has all of this in his hands. There are moments where all I do is curl up in a ball and cry but it's in those darkest moments that I have had to learn to trust in God because only He has the answers.

Verse of the Day