Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Just Being a Giver is Dangerous

In my previous post, I discussed how every giver needs a receiver. We can't all be givers, and we can't all be receivers. I realize now that my desire to take care of myself and not need to receive anything from anyone has made me fall into some dangerous traps. 
  • As I've been obsessed with taking care of my own needs so that nobody has to help me, I've ended up only giving to myself. I've run out of energy to help others. I've ended up being more selfish, but all the while I was patting myself on the back because I am not a burden to anyone else. 
  • When I don't need others, I don't form emotional connections with people, and I fail to practice vulnerability with others. When I hide behind my facade of perfection, it only makes others feel the need to hide as well.
God created us all uniquely and the fact that you have weaknesses and strengths are not a mistake. God didn't create people who were capable of being completely self-sufficient and never needing another human being. God intended for us to live together and help each other. Your weakness may be my strength and my weakness may be your strength. It's also possible that by combining our weaknesses, we are able to come together to help each other overcome those things that seem to trip both of us up. 

Yes, it says in Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." But if you read on to verse 14, you will see that Paul also said, "It was kind of you to share my trouble."  God's intention was to use us to help each other. God isn't going to physically come to earth and go to the grocery store for Sally while she recovers from surgery. God isn't going to call the florist and send flowers to Jenny when she needs something to brighten her day. He is asking you to do that. There are many things, most of which are not extraordinary, that God is directing us to do. Open your eyes and look at everyone around you and let's try to give to someone besides ourselves.

No comments:

Verse of the Day