Monday, April 21, 2008

God Directs

As we approach graduation time, I can't help but remember my own graduation from high school which will be 17 years ago this May. I was so confused about what I should do and where I should go. My dad had recently lost his mangement position job and so my whole senior year was in a uproar. The scripture I clung to was Proverbs 3: 5-6
Trust the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not
unto thine own understanding.
In all thine ways acknowledge Him, and He
shall direct thy paths.
I know that over the years I have seen God direct my path, but I still haven't always understood what it meant for God to "direct" my path. It doesn't say that God will draw me a picture, speak in an audible voice and give me step-by-step instructions on where to go and what to do. It doesn't say he will send an Angel to tell me what will happening in my life. It doesn't say that I will get a neon sign informing me of God's next move. Webster's says that when used as a verb, direct means to control the operations of; to aim (something) in a particular direction; to supervise and control; or to give an order to." I think that all apply to God's directions. He should control the operations of my life, he has aimed me in the direction he wants me to go, he is the supervisor of my life, and he gives the orders. It doesn't mean that I always understand what he is doing or know what the outcome will be. He has just aimed me in the direction my path should take. I've always felt that my life with God was like a maze. I go this way and wham, there is a wall. I turn around and try another path. Sometimes those brick walls are there to slow me down. Sometimes God needs us to stop and listen as he directs. God closes doors and opens doors, it's up to us to walk through the open doors and to stop trying to break-in to the closed ones. He has given us a road map--the Bible. He has also given us a compass--His spirit. Stop, look around, and listen as God directs your path.

No comments:

Verse of the Day