Monday, May 2, 2016

Am I right, or am I right?

Everything you do and say from the beginning of your life is judged based on how correct you are. Parents teach you what is right and wrong. Teachers, friends, law enforcement, and bosses all teach you what is wrong, right, or acceptable behavior. Preachers and Sunday school teachers lead you down the paths they feel are correct. I'm afraid we spend more time teaching kids what we think is truth instead of teaching them how to find the truth for themselves. Yes, I believe in explaining what you believe to your children, but if they are just reciting what they are taught, it will never translate to a personal relationship with God. They need to discover the truth for themselves.

When we discover truth, our knee-jerk reaction is to persuade everyone to believe just as we do. I mean, why would they want to be wrong? I have said things in jest, said things in ignorance, and said things in self-righteousness that I truly hope people can forget and not judge my entire existence by those words. My belief system has evolved over time based on my continued study and the circumstances I've lived through.

I write this because there are so many opinions out there these days, and so many people wanting to share them. Then there are people with opinions about those opinions. It's all such a whir and sometimes I can't keep up with who is right and who is wrong. So I've discovered an easy trick to know the answer. If someone speaks or blogs, they are right and wrong. I suspect they have some thread of truths and are incorrect about some others. Maybe the best we can hope to do is reduce the number of things we are wrong about. I have some truths that I won't budge on. I've settled them in my head and my heart, but there are a whole slew of others that I may or may not be completely correct about. I figure God will make it abundantly clear when I need to know

I keep thinking that one day I will reach some nirvana of truth and freedom from my humanity. I am discovering that my whole life is a journey toward that end. I don't have the answers. I will never again tell someone I have all the answers. Yes, Jesus is the answer, but then he also triggers a lot of other questions. Life will always provide you with more questions than answers so just get used to it. The only people I worry about are the ones who are certain they are right. Am I right, or am I right?

No comments:

Verse of the Day