Saturday, March 23, 2013

What Hinders Your Yes?

"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." Matthew 10: 36-37

What a weighty scripture!  When I read this, I thought, "how many times have I failed to do what God wanted because of family?" I remember one time answering a question in a Bible Study discussion saying I couldn’t be a missionary in a foreign country because I had a small child, and that I was teaching her about God, which was the most important. My teaching her is of utmost importance, but later I recognized the lunacy of the statement. God brought to mind many missionaries that I have met who have children and are working on the field.  It seems that many of the excuses I use for not doing the work of God are usually connected to my family.  I am very impressed when I see women, men, and children serve God without their wives or husbands or parents. It takes a lot of commitment to stay faithful to God when your spouse or your parents are unbelievers.
 
I think about myself.  I always want to make sure my family is taken care of before I move on to the needs of others.  Yet, I think that God sometimes wants us to sacrifice our comfort for the good of someone else.  I am reminded of the story from my favorite book by Louisa May Alcott, Little Women where Marmee takes their Christmas dinner to the poor family who has nothing.  Many of us would not think of making our own families do without.  We will give so long as we have enough for us first. 
 
Take a moment and think of something God may have been impressing you to do, but you keep saying no. What is holding you back? What is your excuse? He will provide the ability, the courage, and the resources to do it. He will be there with you to protect you and your family as you work for Him, and should you lose your life on this earth, you will have gained an eternal reward that cannot be touched by human hands. The eternal life that Christ has given us will be so much sweeter than this life full of sin, pain, and suffering. Matthew 10:39 says, "He that findeth his life shall lose it, and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." Don’t let family hinder you in your service to God.


No comments:

Verse of the Day