Thursday, November 1, 2007

Tomorrow Is A New Day

Last night, Hannah and I had a long heart-to-heart talk. I discovered a fairly large hole in her shirt and it was a new shirt that she has only worn twice. She had a problem a while back cutting inappropriate things such as her clothes, the cat’s whiskers etc., and so I immediately suspected her, but didn’t accuse. I asked what happened and she had that "deer in the headlights" look and immediately said, "my friend did it." I asked, "which friend?" She then said "I’m sorry Mom." This brought on a whole other discussion about lying to me. I also discovered that it was not an accident, but that she cut her shirt on purpose. She doesn’t know why she did it, because it’s her favorite shirt, and I certainly don’t understand. We cried lots of tears, and she prayed and asked God to forgive her. She was also very distraught and questioning whether or not I still loved her. I had been saying I loved her through this whole tirade and I hadn’t screamed and hollered and locked her in the dungeon. I did tell her she would have to pay for the shirt and I took her only $5.00 bill. I thought about it, and realized that she just felt that she had been so horrible that nobody could love her. I have felt that same way at times. We then talked about Jesus love for us and how he died so that our sins could be forgiven. I also used one of my favorite quotes to encourage her, "Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it." When God forgives he gives us a new day–a new life–with no mistakes in it. He wipes the slate clean and he cast our sins as far as the East is from the West. I’m so glad Jesus died for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Tam. Good blog.

I like how you can see Hannah's "minor" problems , as you say, problems through her eyes. I know that if we can teach children integrity and faithfulness with small shortcomings we can dodge many of the big problems. My heart really goes out to the parents of children who rebellious rebellions. I think I was an obedient rebel. All of this to say, thanks for sharing.
Sorry for the disjointedness of this paragraph.

WD

Verse of the Day